Public Transportation of the City of Ionia, was established in 1980. Dial-A-Ride (I-DART) is a shared ride, demand-response public transportation service. The intent of the shared ride system is for patrons to call for a ride and then share the ride with others who are grouped with them along the routes to their destinations.
Transportation affects all aspects of a person's life. Mobility affects the way we live and how effectively we can use community services and participate in community activities. I-DART operates a fleet of nine service vehicles, all nine vehicles are equipped with wheelchair lifts and comply with all related ADA Policies.
I-DART is funded through state and federal transportation programs, a millage, local and fare box revenues. Services are provided in accordance with Title VI, without discrimination based on race, color, national origin, or other prohibited basis. Read I-DART's Title VI Plan (PDF).
Note Our Peak Hours. Peak hours are the times Dial-A-Ride is the busiest picking up our customers, therefore wait times increase. Our peak hours are 7 am to 9 am and 2:30 pm to 4 pm. To minimize your wait time we recommend you schedule your rides from September to mid-June in advance or off peak hours if you can.
Plan Your Trip. Reserve your ride, if possible, one hour in advance. Let us know what time you have to be at your destination. We recommend reserving your rides 24 hours in advance if possible. Call Dial-A-Ride: 616-527-4000.
Please Be Ready. We don't want to miss you! Please be ready 15 minutes before your scheduled time call as pick-up times may vary due to cancellations.
Have Correct Fare. When boarding the bus, please have correct change. Drivers do not carry change and cannot provide credits for future rides.
Don't Be a "No Show". Please be courteous to us and other customers that share your ride. If your plans change, please call us at least 30 minutes in advance to cancel your ride. To get our customers to their destinations on time, drivers only wait approximately two minutes at each pick-up before calling a customer a "No Show".
Scheduling a ride and then not boarding the bus after the driver 1) stops, 2) waits for two minutes after arriving at the pickup location, and 3) honks several times during the two-minute waiting period.
Cancel a scheduled ride, whether same day or reoccurring, within 30 minutes of your scheduled pickup time by calling Dispatch at 616-527-4000 option 1.
If you call for a same-day pick-up that is scheduled within the 30-minute time frame and you cancel prior to the driver being en route to the pickup, you will not be considered a no-show.
If a rider is a no-show:
- 1st no-show the rider will be reminded to please notify dispatch of cancelations at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled pick up.
- 2nd no-show the rider will be reminded to please notify dispatch of cancelations at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled pick up.
- 3rd no-show the rider will be taken off the reoccurring schedule for two weeks.
- 5th no-show the rider will only be allowed to schedule same-day trips.
- 7th no show the rider will be suspended for 1 week.
- 8th no show the rider will be suspended for 2 weeks.
- Subsequent no-shows will be addressed by the Director.
Appealing No Show & Suspensions
Email Ionia Dial-A-Ride Director or contact in writing to appeal a no-show record and/or suspension. Mail appeals to:
- Ionia Dial-A-Ride, Attention: Director
251 E Adams St
Ionia, MI 48846
For Dial-A-Ride service, phone 527-4000. Dial-A-Ride fares can be purchased per Single Ride (One Way Trip), or for reduced rates on Punch Cards, each containing ten Single Rides. Punch Cards are available for purchase at the Dial-A-Ride office or by requesting (in advance) for a card to be purchased at your pick-up location.
Our goal is to provide safety, comfort, and satisfaction for our customers. In order to better serve you, we ask that you adhere to the rules and regulations set forth for using the City of Ionia Public Transportation System. If you have questions or comments, please call 616-527-4000. We hope your trip is a pleasant one.
Ionia Dial-A-Ride (I-DART) Rules Are As Follows:
- All service animals are allowed in vehicles with passengers. Animals not used as ADA service animals are permitted only if the animal is transported in a suitable carrier. The carrier must be placed in the passenger's lap to secure the carrier. Please read our Service Animal Policy (PDF).
- Carry on bags are limited to four bags, two placed on your lap and two on the floor between your feet.
- Do not stand forward of the yellow line indicated on the floor of I-DART vehicles.
- Drivers do not carry change and credit for future rides is not provided.
- Remain seated until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.
- Shoes and shirts are required.
- Please read our Portable Oxygen Tank and Respirator Policy (PDF).
- Review Passenger Rights and Responsibilities (PDF).
The Following Are Prohibited On I-DART Vehicles:
- Any act prohibited by law
- Eating, drinking, or smoking
- Explosive materials
- Firearms or weapons of any kind
- Possession or use of alcohol or illegal substances
- Use of radios, CD players, or other sound-producing devices without the use of personal headphones
- Wearing Skates
Disruptive Behavior, Including, But Not Limited To, Are Prohibited On I-Dart Vehicles:
- Any actions which may interfere with or disrupt the operators or customers
- Fighting, mock fighting, or roughhousing
- Obscene, threatening, inciting, or insulting language or gestures
- Running, yelling, or throwing objects
- Spitting, littering, picking trash from receptacles
- Standing, sitting or walking in a way that inconveniences, obstructs or interferes with others (for example, blocking doors, feet on seats, etc.)
- Vandalism or graffiti
Non-compliance of the preceding rules may result in the passenger not being allowed to utilize I-DART, a Public Transportation System.
I-DART services are provided in accordance with Title VI, without discrimination based on race, color, national origin, or other prohibited basis. Read I-DART's Title VI Statement (PDF).
I-Dart services are provided in accordance with ADA standards. Read I-DART's ADA Complaint Policy (PDF).
- Has professional and trained drivers in passenger assistance techniques to assist our customers with special needs
- Offers convenient curbside service
- Offers priority seating for senior citizens and persons with disabilities
- Offers reduced passenger fares for seniors and persons with disabilities (must present Dial-A-Ride eligibility card)
- Offers Senior Hour Monday through Friday from 10 am to 11 am and 1 pm to 2 pm and Saturday 10:30 am to 11:30 am so seniors can ride for $1 on a one-way trip.
- Operates a fleet of 9 service vehicles, all 9 vehicles are equipped with wheelchair lifts and comply with all related ADA regulations
- Provides free rides for attendants assisting persons with disabilities
- Provides mobility for the growing elderly population by providing transportation to medical appointments, shopping, and recreational needs
To apply for a reduced fare, fill out and return our Certificate of Eligibility Application (PDF)and return to our business office. Upon receipt and approval of your application, we will send you an eligibility card. Please present this card to our drivers when boarding the bus to receive your reduced fare.
City of Ionia
All areas located inside the City of Ionia limits. View the I-DART- Service Area Map (PDF).
- South on M-66 to Sprague Road
- West on Tuttle Road to Harwood Road
- North on Harwood Road to Riverside Drive
- East on Riverside Drive to M-66
- North on M-66 to city limits of Ionia
- South Business District - Download Approximate Times (PDF)
Ionia Township, North of River
- North on M-66 to Parmeter Road
- East on Parmeter Road to Jefferson Road
- South on Jefferson Road to Welch Road
- East on Welch Road to Prairie Creek Road
- Prairie Creek Road to M-21
- East on M-21 to Stage Road
- South on Stage Road to city limits of Ionia
Ionia Township, South of River
- Kelsey Highway South to Tuttle Road
- West on Tuttle Road to M-66
- South on M-66 to the city limits of Ionia
- North on M-66 to Dildine Road
- West on Dildine Road to Graff Road
- North on Graff Road to Ellison Road
- West on Ellison Road to Johnson Road
- South on Johnson Road to M-21
- East on M-21 to South Bellamy Road, (West Main St.) back to city limits of Ionia
- South on M-66 from Sprague Road to David Highway
- East on David Highway to Kelsey Highway
- North on Kelsey Highway to Townsend Road
Note About Service Areas
Service areas not listed above for Berlin, Ionia, and Easton Townships will require a 24-hour notification for service. Orange Township service area is limited only to the area listed above. If you have questions regarding the above service area descriptions, please call 616-527-4000.
Extended Routes to Other Municipalities
No other route services are available at this time. Please check back from time to time.
It is the policy of Ionia Area Dial-A-Ride to make sure that the needs of Wheelchair, Daily Time Calls, 24-hour, And Reserved Rides be fully administered before addressing the needs of the Priority 4, On Demand passenger calls.
Priority 1 - Daily Time Calls
Rides reserved for the same passenger, same time, and same origin.
Priority 2 - 24-Hour Calls
Rides reserved 24 hours in advance.
Priority 3 - Reserved Rides
Rides reserved at least one hour in advance.
Priority 4 - On Demand
Rides reserved less than one hour in advance.
Affordable and safe student transportation, convenience for families, multi-year recipient of "Award of Excellence for Vehicle Maintenance" presented by Michigan Department of Transportation.
Ionia Dial-A-Ride policies and procedures help to ensure children's safety. We have professional and trained drivers.
I-DART is a public transportation system that provides open-door transportation to the general public. Routes and riders are scheduled according to efficiency. Please remember that IDART cannot designate a route specifically for student riders only.