About The Boards & Commissions
The City of Ionia has various Boards and Commissions that welcome resident participation. All positions are voluntary and are appointed by the Mayor with the approval of City Council. Descriptions for each of the different boards and commissions are provided on this webpage. Preparation for meetings may require additional time obligations. Once appointed, your attendance at meetings is critical.
- Complete the Boards and Commissions Application Skillset guide to determine where your skills would best serve the City.
- Complete the combined Boards and Commissions Application. Applications can be filled out online, or they may be requested in person at the City Manager's Office, by phone at 616-527-5776, or by sending an email to the City Manager.
- Submit an application to the City Manager via email or in person at:
- City Hall
Attn: Precia Garland
114 North Kidd Street
P.O. Box 496
Ionia, Michigan 48846.
- City Hall
- The City Manager provides the application to the Mayor who then reviews all submitted application materials. The Mayor makes a recommendation to City Council on the appointment.
- City Council makes the final decision on the appointment at a City Council meeting.
Public Participation Plan
Engaging citizens through a planning process is crucial to the success of this plan. Soliciting input throughout the duration of the process contributes to a greater public understanding of the various complexities involved in many community projects and also provides greater transparency in local government operations. Solicitation and consideration of community input by City of Ionia officials enhance the public's understanding of their ability and responsibility to affect the future of the community. As key facilitators in the City's decision-making process, the public officials and administrators of the City of Ionia understand the significance of public participation.